Monday, 13 August 2012

The throw-away society

... is slowly but surely winning the maintenance game here.

My vacuum, which is about 3 years old, just refused to start last week. I talked to it; gave it the silent treatment... used the neighbour's one to piss it off . Not even a puff of dust in disgusted response.

So, today I went to what I knew to be a service for appliances.
Ah.

It is a service centre but not for any appliances. Any more.
The ones that have been chosen are air conditioners and TV sets (and not all TV sets, mind.).

The lady behind the desk told me that her vacuum went, too; and the technicians told her to buy a new one because the motor had died. (and obviously, there is no money (or spare parts? or the way the make them motors nowadays?) in repairing broken vacuums.

So, keeping fingers crossed (you know, the image of the fingers), I drove to another place that used to be only for TV sets... just to try my luck there.

They accepted the sick patient and gave me a receipt, on which were the phone numbers, name of the company, address and the model and brand of my  vacuum cleaner. 

I had a quick look at the paper in the car and read the finer print - After the 3rd day, if the customer has not picked up their appliance, they will pay 0.XX lv per day until they do so.

Hmmm.

Just to think I had to make a left turn (which, for the UK readers, is the awkward right one) to arrive at that place.

I can only hope my LG vacuum has a few more years left in it... at least 2 more??

No comments:

Post a Comment